What if anyone at anytime would come to you with advice, suggestions, problems, solutions, etc., furthermore you would have the same opportunities for favors, challenges and help!
The number one problem in construction is communication, a way to break down those barriers is through building relationships! Here are five way's to build relationships in construction.
- Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say: How often has someone said they will do something and it never happens! Relationships are built on trust! So if you can't be trusted, you can't build relationships.
- Stay Positive: No one wants to build a relationship with someone who is negative what they want is someone with a positive attitude where they can build a positive relationship.
- Listen: Relationships are a two way street; someone that will listen to you and someone that will listen to others, it's that simple. Focus on listening to what they are saying instead of what you want to say, to gain their trust.
- Gratitude: A genuine show of appreciation will go a long way! Showing gratitude let's them know what they did was of value, building a trusted and valued relationship with two simple words Thank You!
- Lend a Helping Hand: There is nothing worse than watching someone struggle, with help standing only a couple feet away watching. If you want to build relationships don't be afraid to jump in or at least offer assistance.
If you want to be successful in construction the focus needs to be on building relationships, where you can ask for help, find solutions to problems and trade favors when needed. Overall you will feel like you are part of a team instead of standing alone.