How many good leaders will leave before we make changes? I have seen some good leaders and potential future leaders leave, not for the money, but because of the experience they are missing out on now at this moment. They want the responsibility, they want to learn and to grow, but more than anything they just want the opportunity. They want their shot to showcase what they're capable of, they are motivated, dedicated and determined to accomplish the impossible if they can just, be given the opportunity! Leaders and future leaders are no different then any other employee's, yet we seem to have a hard time treating them the same because of our expectations we have with our shiny stars, we fail in the following ways:
- Show recognition- let them know their efforts matter.
- Continually train and teach, give them signs of growth in the company.
- Opportunities and challenges-build their confidence and challenge them.
- Wages=Worth- if they are exceptional employee's pay them for their extra efforts.
- Communication- don't assume you know the direction they want to go, ask them where they want to be.
- Mentor- set them up to succeed, try implementing a mentoring program. Team up people that can learn and grow off of each other.
- Listen,listen and listen to your employees- they will let you know when they are frustrated. If you hear what they are saying by effective listening, this can help avoid built up frustration and possibly eliminating a departure, from one of your top hands.