To use the template you will count and add every time you handle material, any re-work, questions asked and answered, if you're on/off schedule and when flow is disrupted.
First is material handling.
- Track how many times you or your guys have to handle material from staging to point of placement. Add a point for each time it's handled. At the end of the week if you have big numbers in material handling, say a six step process, re-evaluate that process to get that number down to a two or three step process.
- This is very important as we know budgets are set up to install/place once, they are not set up to include re-work. Every time you have to tear something apart, move or adjust add a point to the chart. Figure out why the re-work is happening get to the root cause of the problem. Is it one person who is doing your layout, do we have people teamed up wrong? Weâre not looking for owner changes or things we have no control of here, were trying to make sure we have the right people in the right spot.
How's your communication?
- How do you convey the goals, task and to-do's. Every time you are asked a question, add a point, however every time you answer the question deduct a point. You want to minimize how many questions are asked a day, which can be achieved with effective communication, where everyone knows the critical five: who, what, why, how and when's.
Let's see how you do with the schedule:
- Every time you have to cancel and inspection, push a pour or donât meet your schedule add one point for each item. If you have high numbers at the end of the week, either your setting unrealistic goals or not utilizing the manpower properly.
Finally track flow:
- Every time you pull someone off a task before it's completed; add a point. If you have high numbers here at the end of the week take a look at your sequencing or team building, do you have the right people in the right spots or does your planning and looking ahead need improvement; ordering materials,equipment or manpower in advance. Maybe it's waiting on information from the owner/arch/eng or from you.
So how did you do? Track for a week, share your numbers and let's see where we can improve!